Friday, July 24, 2026

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

 


Just finished reading this book The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 
It took about a week to finish this book.

What fascinated me about this book?

It was written in 1890, yet I was reading it in 2026.
It's my first book in the Gothic horror genre.
It's also the first classic Victorian English novel I've read.


This book was recommended to me by chatgpt based on my history of reading habits I shared with it. After reading 4 chapters, I replied to chatgpt that I wanted to stop reading. Not because it's a bad book but I was not enjoying the classic Britain English style of writing.  But chatgpt recommended that I read atleast 7 chapters and then decide. 
After 7th chapter I just pushed myself to finish it. 

Concept and storyline are good but I was not liking the slow pace, poetic style of writing and elaborate description of the place or person which at times felt unnecessary. 
I read a book review blog on this book which was very insightful.  The way the blogger mapped today's world to the characters in the book was very interesting. I will add the link to the blog if I can find it again. 

My rating: 3/5 ⭐⭐⭐☆☆
Will I read another classic Victorian English novel.... No. I  personally don't enjoy 
Will I read another Gothic story...most probably No

No comments:

Post a Comment