Thursday, July 30, 2026

Bhagavad Gita as view by Swami Vivekananda



Completed reading Bhagavad Gita as Viewed by Swami Vivekananda.

I had high expectations from this book.

Honestly, within the first few chapters, I was disappointed.
I expected this to be Swami Vivekananda's direct discourse or interpretation of the Bhagavad Gita. Instead, it is a compilation by Swami Madhurananda, who has brought together Swami Vivekananda's teachings, lectures and writings from various occasions, and presented them chapter-wise alongside the Bhagavad Gita.
Initially, this wasn't what I was looking for.
However, from around the fifth or sixth chapter onwards, the book contains more of Swami Vivekananda's original words and quotations. That encouraged me to continue reading, and by the end, I was glad I finished it.
I still wish the book had been more explicit in its title and description that it is a compilation and interpretation of Swami Vivekananda's teachings rather than a direct commentary written by him.

My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐☆ (3.5/5)

#Religious #SpiritualBooks #BhagavadGita #SwamiVivekananda

Does this book have one good idea, or does it have enough depth to justify an entire book?
It has enough depth to justify an entire book. However, readers should approach it with the right expectation. If you're looking for Swami Vivekananda's own systematic commentary on the Bhagavad Gita, this isn't that book. If you're interested in understanding the Gita through the lens of his teachings compiled by a disciple, it is a worthwhile read.

No comments:

Post a Comment